Guidelines to wrap-up your Summer Work and Travel program
Guli Iskandarova 08/25/2019
You’ve explored a new country, adapted to unfamiliar situations, developed a variety of skills, and now your exchange program is coming to an end. Preparing to return to your home country doesn’t take as much time as preparing to come to the U.S., but there are some key things to check off your to-do list before you go.
Plan Your Travel
You have 30 days of grace period after your program end date to travel the U.S. and visit the places in your bucket list. However, keep in mind that you must return to continue your studies on time.
- Make sure you work until the end date per your job offer. Your employer saved a summer position for you, organized your housing, and your team depends on you.
- Map out your travel plans; the sky’s the limit!
- Confirm your international flight is on time and purchase tickets to get to your airport if needed
- Check the baggage allowances on your domestic and international flights
- Make sure to take lots of picture while traveling; you can tag us on social media by using #j1united
- Plan your shopping, buy gifts for family and friends
Take Care of Administrative Tasks ✅
Filing forms and paperwork isn’t a fun chore, but it’s important to wrap up your exchange program properly to avoid future headaches.
- Cash any remaining checks.
- Consider closing any signed-up memberships; if possible, we advise to leave your bank account open to transfer your tax returns.
- Pay any outstanding medical bills or other bills you may have.
- Keep all of your paperwork and documents in a safe place, like your passport, flight ticket, DS form, etc. and make digital copies.
Prepare for Filing Taxes
You’ll need to file a U.S. tax return for every year that you earned money on an exchange program. We have tax services if you are interested, but here are some pointers:
- Download and save your monthly bank statements, save your pay stubs.
- Leave a mail forwarding address with your host so that any important paperwork gets to you.
- Look out for tax forms and tips from us on social media
- File your tax return by April 15, 2020.
Interact with J1united and Sponsor company
Be sure to keep in touch with us as you head back home!
- Follow us on social media and tag us in pictures from your time in the U.S.
- Refer your friends to us.
- Email us in a few months to let us know what you’re up to and share your alumni story.
Wishing you all the best on your next adventure! Live |Travel |Discover.